Things that help when writing:
- Good lighting.
- An ability to keep your mind focused on what you’re writing about.
- At least one solid uninterrupted hour of sitting.
- Mise en place — having drinks, laptop, phones, reference materials, whatever other stuff you want at the ready so you don’t have to get up. (See “uninterrupted hour of sitting.”)
Things that definitely do not help when writing:
- Allowing your mind to wander and discovering you’ve spent five minutes staring at the open living room door and wondering where the cat is and having to get up and find the damn cat because you know you can’t concentrate while wondering if she’s peeing on your bedroom rug.
- Days that grammar school lets out early.
(This post brought to you by one hyper 8-year-old, one overly energetic dog, winter temperatures that make us all want to stay inside, and one half-day of school.)